Thursday, April 24, 2008

Passau -> Paradise (?!)

This week I am staying in Passau, a city in the southeast of Germany near the border to Austria, mostly known for being the place where the three rivers: Danube, Inn and Ilz join together. Many German cities are rather small and basically survive because of universities that attract many students. Passau is not different. Everywhere you see students passing with their backpacks or riding to class. However, after some time, one can notice in Passau something very different from other student towns in Germany: for each man there are 5 girls!

Since I come from an engineering school, where the proportions are exactly the opposite, I found myself in a very unfamiliar situation: studying at the university library surrounded only by girls! At a first moment, one might think that Passau is a paradise for men. However, soon after you stay and sit in the table and hear the conversations, you can realize that this environment is too "girly"! They are constantly talking about superfluous issues, like how the girl in the next table is dressing and so on. What leads me to my second observation: Girls in Passau are very well dressed. One thing that I noticed in the streets of Munich, Koln, Dresden, and other German cities that I visited is that, differently from Paris, girls do not take much care about their appearance. I am still trying to understand why there is this different line of thought here in Passau.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, you've convinced me, i move to passau. I want to "passau mal" la. kkkkk