Thursday, March 6, 2008

So much for an electrical eng. degree!

The past weeks, or I should rather say months, my computer was giving me a very hard time. Whenever I needed more processing power, such as when I watched a video at youtube, the computer restarted. I rapidly assumed that it is an overheating problem, which I confirmed using some temperature monitoring softwares. To solve this I took my computer yesterday to a computer maintenance store, where the technician told me that it would take me 49 euros to clean the computer and supposedly avoid this overheating.

49 euros!!! I thought. That is really a lot of money just to clean a computer, so I immediately rejected the offer and came back home. Today, I decided to do the job by myself. So there I go and open the computer, of course unplugging it first and removing its battery. But immediately after, I face the first challenge: the screws! They are so tight that it takes me almost half an hour to remove them all. The second challenge is to open the laptop's case. After several attempts, I was not able to open it, even after almost breaking it with the screw driver! However, I could partially open it so that I could see the circuits and manage to clean the laptop's cooling device.

After all this drama to open and clean the computer, I close the case and turn on the computer. My worst fears come true: first neither the laptop's keyboard neither the the wireless adapter are working, and second the problem of overheating is still there!

No comments: